Jhpiego is an international non-profit health organization affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University. For more than 45 years now, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions to strengthen the delivery of health care services for women and their families. By putting evidence-based health innovations into everyday practice, Jhpiego works to break down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations. Jhpiego, implementing a number of projects in Tanzania, wishes to recruit a Communications Specialist.
Communications Specialist—Africa Region [One position. To be based either in Tanzania or at any Jhpiego country office in the East, Central, or Southern Africa region]
Summary Scope of Work:
Reporting to the Communications Manager—Africa Region, the Communications Specialist—Africa Region will work collaboratively with the Global Engagement and Communications (GECO) Office to promote Jhpiego to external audiences with a focus on positioning the organization in the continent, its programs, innovations and successful interventions as technical leaders in maternal and newborn health. The Africa region Specialist will assist the Africa Communications Manager in executing the GECO’s communications plan for Africa. This will include building capacity of local staff to meet communication standards, working with stakeholders and the media across the region, documenting impact with stories and photography and supporting in-country communications efforts. The Communications Specialist will work to ensure Jhpiego staff across departments are familiar with organizational communications policies, standards, guidelines, key messages and their responsibilities as ambassadors in promoting the organization and its achievements.
- Support the Communications Manager—Africa Region in the execution of Jhpiego strategic communications plan and the integration of communications across the organization as stated in the organization’s Strategic Plan
- Work with country teams to identify and document audience-specific impact stories and communication materials
- Strengthen the capacity and skills of Jhpiego country communications staff or liaisons throughout Africa on best practices for identifying, documenting and developing compelling communication deliverables (success stories, photography, infographics, social media posts, events and media outreach)
- Write and/or pitch to local and international media stories about the work of Jhpiego
- Work closely with staff in Baltimore and globally to develop accurate, creative story ideas for marketing materials
- Work with Global Programs Office, the Technical Leadership and Innovations Office and all Jhpiego departments to integrate communications messaging and processes throughout the organization
- Find new and innovative avenues to communicate Jhpiego key messages
- Provide technical support for communications to field staff
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, or related field
- Strong non-technical writing skills
- 5+ years writing and communication experience, preferably in the health or development field
- Strong organizational, analytical and assessment skills
- Understanding of communications channels, including electronic and print media in Africa and globally
- Ability to develop communications plans to synchronize with organizational goals in fundraising and development, government and corporate relations
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with audiences important to Jhpiego, including news media, legislators, donors and prospective donors, and corporate leaders
- Ability to represent Jhpiego effectively to external audiences including corporate and foundation executives, business and government organizations and other cooperating agencies
- Knowledge of social network and media communications
- Ability to meet deadlines under extreme pressure
- Ability to build consensus and work with diverse groups of people
- Experience and ability to travel to developing countries
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of French is an added advantage
Jhpiego offers a competitive package to selected candidates in line with academic qualifications and relevant experience.
To apply please indicate the position title on the subject line of your e-mail, i.e. Application for Communications Specialist. All applications should include an up-to-date CV with three contactable professional references, a cover letter and your salary history.
The address to send your application: [email protected]
Please note we will contact shortlisted candidates only. The closing date for applications is two weeks after the first appearance of this advert.
Warning: Never Pay To Get A Job. Legitimate companies dont ask for money.