In an address to a cabinet session on Wednesday, Rouhani said the US government is going to suffer another defeat at the UNSC after its recent failure to extend the UN arms embargo on Iran.
He said Washington’s upcoming failure to activate the snapback mechanism of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action would mark another major and historic victory for the Iranian nation.
The Iranian nation may rest assured that the US will suffer another humiliating defeat on Saturday and Sunday, the president said, stressing that the US has no right to resort to the snapback mechanism since it has withdrawn from the 2015 nuclear deal and has been encouraging others to scrap the accord as well.
Last month, 13 countries of the 15-member council rejected the US push to trigger the so-called snapback provision in the 2015 nuclear deal, leaving Washington isolated on the issue.
UNSC Resolution 2231, which enshrined the JCPOA, states that if no council member has put forward a draft resolution to extend sanctions relief on Iran within 10 days of a non-compliance complaint, then the body’s president shall do so within the remaining 20 days.
The document, however, says the Security Council would “take into account the views of the states involved.”
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has claimed that all UN sanctions against Iran will be reinstated on September 20 after the US “activated the snapback mechanism.”
However, the claim was strongly condemned by other signatories of the nuclear deal including the EU, Russia and China.