Minister of Community Safety Albert Fritz has expressed outrage at the spate of mass shooting incidents in and around Cape Town. Over the past week, there have been reports of shootings in Hanover Park, Joe Slovo (Milnerton) and Ravensmead.
According to a statement released on Friday 9 October, Fritz will meet with the Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Matakata on the serious issue next week Wednesday.
“The spate of shooting incidents that we have seen across the province over the past week is completely unacceptable. Gangsters and criminal elements cannot be allowed to continue exploiting and terrorizing our communities as we have seen,” said Fritz.
MASS SHOOTING IN HANOVER PARK, CAPE TOWN
Fritz said he had received numerous reports from members of the public expressing that local SAPS are not responding to call outs.
“Community members feel trapped in their homes as gangsters shoot outside. This is not acceptable behaviour by SAPS officials and I call on residents who have experienced such inefficiencies to report such to the Western Cape Police Ombudsman,” he said.
Fritz said he visited Hanover Park and Philippi police stations and met with the Ward Councilor and the Station Commander to discuss the spate of shootings.
“Previously this week, I condemned the shooting incident which killed a 28-year-old man and injured seven people who were subsequently taken to hospital in Galilee Court. I also conveyed condolences to the Chairperson of the Nyanga CPF who also lost his brother in a separate shooting incident,” he added.
Fritz also commented on the death of SA cricketer Vernon Philander’s brother who was shot and killed in a street in Ravensmead, Cape Town.
“At just 32-years-old, Tyron Philander’s life was cut short. I extend my heartfelt condolences to friends and family on this loss,” he said.
“According to SAPS, Ravensmead SAPS Crime Prevention Unit members acted swiftly on information from a community member about a person in possession of a firearm at a premise in 8th Avenue, Ravensmead Wednesday night and arrested a 33-year-old suspect. I commend Ravensmead SAPS on these steps to ensure the safety of residents,” he said.
“SAPS explained that officers received information and searched the suspect as per the description provided and found him to be in possession of a pistol and magazine with seven rounds of ammunition. The firearm will be sent for a ballistic test to see if it could be linked to the commission of other crimes. Once charged the suspect will appear in the Bellville Magistrates Court,” he added.
JOE SLOVO SHOOTING IN CAPE TOWN
A manhunt was launched for six gunmen after five people were brutally shot and killed in Joe Slovo, Cape Town on Thursday night.
“I call on SAPS to leave no stone unturned in their investigations and ensure that guilty parties are brought to book,” he said.
“Violent crime cannot be the norm in our society. I call on members of the community [who] have knowledge of these incidents to immediately come forward and report such to their local SAPS station, call Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or use the tip off function on the MySAPS cellphone application,” he added.