Connect with us

US News

Facing impeachment, dismissal, and charges of instigating violence, chastened Trump calls for healing and reconciliation

Published

on

WASHINGTON: A defeated and seemingly chastened US President Donald Trump on Thursday called for “healing and reconciliation” and pledged a smooth and orderly transition of power” amid moves to impeach him and calls to remove him from office for his role in inciting mob violence even though only 12 days of his presidency remain.
With the establishment Republican Party abandoning him and two cabinet members and several administration officials resigning over his incendiary role in the attack on the US Capitol, a subdued Trump claimed he was “outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem” and called for cooling of tempers in the face of charges across the board that he instigated his supporters.
“Congress has certified the results, and a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20. My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth orderly and seamless transition of power,” Trump said in video message read on a teleprompter in what is the closest he has come to conceding defeat.
In a tweet on Friday morning, he also announced that he will not attend Joe Biden’s inauguration on January 20.

Trump’s capitulation came soon after a police officer who was injured in what is now being described in some quarters as a terrorist attack by the President’s supporters on the US Capitol died, bringing to five the fatalities in the barbaric event. The cop was reportedly hit over the head with a fire extinguisher by the MAGA mob, triggering a murder investigation.
The disgraced President, called sick and mentally unstable by some conservative pundits who long glossed over his excesses, taped the message after he was reportedly warned by a White House counsel that he could face legal charges for stoking the mob. His administration’s own Justice Department did not rule out the possibility.
“We are looking at all actors, not only the people who went into the (US Capitol) building,” Michael Sherwin, the US attorney in Washington, said at a press conference.
Democratic lawmakers in Congress began drawing up articles of impeachment which some Republicans pledged to support. The party’s leadership- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate leader Chuck Schumer- though said they preferred the Trump cabinet invoke the 25th amendment to remove the President from office, and only if it failed would they consider impeachment, for which there is very little time.
Pelosi and Schumer said they tried calling Pence to discuss the issue but he did not take their call. Meanwhile, at least two Trump cabinet members – transportation secretary Elaine Chao, who is married to Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell and education secretary Betsy Devos, resigned, ostensibly to avoid taking a call on the 25th amendment, although they castigated Trump for instigating violence.
Like many Republican officials and lawmakers, they stood by Trump and enabled him through his most grotesque excesses over four years, including inciting supporters against the media, encouraging violence against critics and protestors, and lampooning the disabled.
Trump’s scripted remarks, in which he did not congratulate or welcome the incoming President, were greeted with scorn and likened to a hostage video made under duress, with critics expecting “Teleprompter Trump” to return to his usual inflammatory self once the crisis has passed.
Trump concluding his video message saying, “To all of my wonderful supporters. I know you are disappointed, but I also want you to know that our incredible journey is only just beginning.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

US News

After Trump setbacks, Kim Jong Un starts over with Biden

Published

on

SEOUL: Last year was a disaster for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
He helplessly watched his country’s already battered economy decay further amid pandemic border closures while brooding over the collapse of made-for-TV summits with former President Donald Trump that failed to lift crippling sanctions from his country.
Now he must start all over again with President Joe Biden, who has previously called Kim a “thug” and accused Trump of chasing spectacles instead of meaningful reductions of Kim’s nuclear arsenal.
While Kim has vowed to strengthen his nuclear weapons program in recent political speeches, he also tried to give Biden an opening by saying that the fate of their relations depends on whether Washington discards what he calls hostile US policies.
It’s unclear how patient Kim will be. North Korea has a history of testing new USadministrations with missile launches and other provocations aimed at forcing the Americans back to the negotiating table.
In recent military parades in Pyongyang, Kim showcased new weapons he may test, including solid-fuel ballistic systems designed to be fired from vehicles and submarines, and the North’s biggest intercontinental ballistic missile.
A revival of tensions would force the USand South Korea to reckon more deeply with the possibility that Kim may never voluntarily deal away the weapons he sees as his strongest guarantee of survival.
Kim’s arsenal emerged as a major threat to the United States and its Asian allies following tests in 2017 that included a detonation of a purported thermonuclear warhead and flight tests of ICBMs that demonstrated the potential to reach deep into the American homeland.
A year later, Kim initiated diplomacy with South Korea and the U.S., but it derailed in 2019 when the Americans rejected North Korea’s demands for major sanctions relief in exchange for a piecemeal deal partially surrendering its nuclear capabilities.
North Korea won’t likely be the top priority for Biden, who while facing mounting domestic issues is also gearing up for a push to get back into a 2015 nuclear deal with Iran that Trump blew up in favour of what he called maximum pressure against Iran.
The Biden administration’s “sequence of policy attention will likely be: Get America’s own house in order, strengthen USalliances and align strategies toward China and Russia, and then address Iran and North Korea,” said Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul.
But North Korea never likes to be ignored.
Although Biden served as vice president under Barack Obama, whose policy was to wait out North Korea while gradually increasing sanctions, that method might not work because the North’s weapons capabilities have grown significantly in the years since.
While sanctions, border closures and crop-killing natural disasters have created the toughest challenges of Kim’s nine-year rule, he won’t be in a hurry to offer concessions, Easley said. Kim’s government has a high tolerance for domestic suffering and could expect extensive help from China, its only major ally.
North Korea’s first provocation under the Biden administration could possibly be related to submarine-launched ballistic systems, which Kim showcased in recent parades.
Kim’s ambitions for longer-range ICBMs and reconnaissance satellites that he expressed during the ruling party congress this month could lead to a space launch that would double as a test of long-range missile technology. That would be reminiscent of a 2009 launch that took place weeks into Obama’s first term.
(The North) is capable of conducting tests that the USand its allies cannot ignore,” Easley said. “Kim is likely to exploit this.”
The North Korean leader is trying to move the diplomacy toward an arms reduction negotiation between nuclear states, rather than talks that would culminate in a full surrender of his weapons, according to Shin Beomchul, an analyst with the Seoul-based Korea Research Institute for National Strategy.
But North Korea probably won’t test weapons until after Biden’s State of the Union address in February, where he could set the tone of his policy toward the North, Shin said. Kim may also want to see whether the United States and South Korea proceed with a major joint military exercise expected in March.
Although the allies have described their annual exercises as defensive in nature and downsized much of their combined training activity under Trump to make space for diplomacy, North Korea has called for a full stoppage of the drills, describing them as invasion rehearsals and proof of US hostility.
“The North during the party congress has made clear it has no intentions of budging first, but it is also interested in hearing what the United States has to say,” said Shin, who served as a South Korean diplomat during the Obama years.
“Biden will not inherit Trump’s top-down diplomacy, but you could expect him to be more flexible about working-level negotiations, offering to talk with the North Koreans at any time and place and about anything,” he said.
Shin expects Biden to eventually pursue a deal with North Korea that resembles the agreement with Iran that Trump pulled out of in 2018. It could provide North Korea some level of compensation for freezing its nuclear and missile capabilities at their current level.
Continue Reading

US News

Facebook's oversight board to decide on Trump's ban

Published

on

WASHINGTON: Facebook has asked its independent experts to take a decision on continuation of its ban on former US President Donald Trump.
Facebook and its photo and video sharing social networking service, Instagram, suspended Trump after his supporters stormed the US Capitol on January 6 that left five people dead and led to his second impeachment.
The Oversight Board, an independent body created by Facebook three years ago, on Thursday said it has accepted a case referral from the social media giant to examine its decision to indefinitely suspend Trump’s access to post content on Facebook and Instagram.
Facebook has also requested policy recommendations from the board on suspensions when the user is a political leader.
Facebook’s decision to suspend Trump’s access to post on Facebook and Instagram has driven intense global interest. The Oversight Board has been closely following events in the US and Facebook’s response to them, and the board is ready to provide a thorough and independent assessment of the company’s decision, it said.
“A decision by the Board on this case will be binding on Facebook, and determine whether Mr Trump’s suspension from access to Facebook and Instagram for an indefinite amount of time is overturned,” the board said in a press release.
Facebook has committed not to restore access to its platforms unless directed by a decision of the Oversight Board. Facebook must consider any accompanying policy recommendations from the board and publicly respond to them, it said.
According to the Oversight Board, in the coming days, the case will be assigned to a five-member case review panel. After the panel reaches a decision, its findings are shared with the entire board. Sign-off by a majority of the board is required for a case decision to be issued.
Continue Reading