Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum, Dr Kayode Fayemi, on Friday said the 36 states governors have agreed to take the COVID-19 vaccine on live television.
Fayemi, told the State House Correspondents after a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari that the agreement will help drive acceptance among the populace.
“We, too, will like to demonstrate to our citizens that we believe that vaccines will work.
“The Governors Forum managed the polio vaccines administration in the country, and we have garnered a lot of experience.
“We have worked with the Primary Healthcare Development Agency and the Federal Ministry of Health.
“We will be happy to work with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the Presidential Task Force (PTF) and the Primary Healthcare Development Agency on this as well.
“So, we would take a lead as well in our various states,” said Fayemi, who is also the Governor of Ekiti State,” NAN quoted him as saying.
Nigeria intends to get 42 million COVID-19 vaccines to cover one-fifth of its population through the global COVAX scheme.
UN: 43% of Yemen families reduce daily meals due to economic volatility
“Economic volatility & conflict means that many in Yemen regularly reduce the frequency or size of their meals or parents eat less so they can feed their children,” the WFP posted on Twitter.
Experts have said in recent months that Yemeni citizens’ purchasing power had declined due to a collapse of the national currency, with more than 900 riyals against the US dollar, reaching its peak last November.
Impoverished Yemen has been mired in a conflict since the Houthis ousted the government from power in the capital city of Sanaa in late 2014. The conflict escalated in March 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition intervened, backing the Yemeni government.
The UN has said that the war has led to the worst humanitarian crisis globally, leaving 80 per cent of the population dependent on humanitarian aid to survive, and more than 100,000 dead.
READ: Biden to review Houthi terrorist designation and curb support for Saudi coalition
Nothing rushed about special education reopening says Foley
Norma Foley says every effort is being made to ensure children with special educational needs can return to school.
Students with special education needs had been due attend classes in-person once again from today, before talks between the Department of Education and the unions collapsed on Tuesday.
Union representatives said staff were hesitant to return to the classroom with the current high levels of Covid-19 in the community.
Ms Foley accused the unions of being “disingenuous” saying it was regretful they would not accept the public health advice that schools are a safe, controlled environment.
Describing Ireland as an outlier when it comes to students with special educational needs not attending classes in-person, Minister Foley said opposition assertions that the plan was not thought through are wrong.
Referencing the Minister’s comments regarding the talks with teachers’ and special needs assistants’ representatives, Labour’s education spokesperson Aodhan O’Riordain said Ms Foley should not make comments in public if she wants to get a deal.
“Say what you have to say in private with those unions who have also committed to do the same thing and then potentially we may have a road map for achieving what we all want, which is that education can be delivered [to] those who need it most,” said Mr O’Riordain.
Despite the difficulties, Fórsa, which represents special needs assistants, has reaffirmed its commitment to resuming education for students with additional needs, resuming engagement with Department officials this afternoon to “improve safety provision and re-build confidence”.