The eight victims, including one Swiss citizen and three Mexicans, all survived the November 2019 knife attack in the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Jerash, some 50 kilometres north of the capital Amman.
In 2019, graphic footage of the scene after the incident was posted on social media. A woman can be seen lying on the ground and clearly bleeding heavily, while another woman wears a blood-stained t-shirt.
— وكالة شهاب للأنباء (@ShehabAgency) November 6, 2019
READ: Gaza, Guevara and resistance against occupiers
Israel: thieves ‘had inside help’ to steal ammo from military base
The thieves apparently used a single truck to get into the base, despite the elaborate security system in place, said Yedioth Ahronoth. The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) invested heavily in security at the base over the past few months, installing additional gates, barbed wire fencing, and high-tech surveillance equipment. It is alleged that people who work or serve in the base helped the thieves to get past security.
Despite an extensive police operation, the stolen ammunition has not been recovered. It is believed that at least some have already been sold to criminal gangs.
The IDF has not yet taken action against those responsible for security at Tze’elim. After a similar incident at a military base near the border with Lebanon, however, Chief of Staff Aviv Kochavi sacked senior officers in the IDF Northern Command.
READ: Israel allows US to deploy Iron Dome batteries in Gulf
The Head of the IDF Operations Directorate, Major General Aharon Haliva, told a Knesset committee that the theft of arms from and near Tze’elim is believed to be the work of a particular local tribe. Knesset members in the meeting also heard that 80 guns were stolen last year from the IDF, 15 of them from the homes of serving officers.
The theft of arms and ammunition is a problem for the IDF in the Jordan Valley where its troops go on exercises. Haliva pointed out that the army has formed a new brigade, including Border Guards, to protect military bases.
Yemen: Mothers of abductees call on UN to intervene
This came in a statement issued by the association in conjunction with the fifth meeting of the supervisory committee on prisoners and detainees held in the Jordanian capital Amman on Sunday.
The organisation documented the abduction of 725 civilians, including two women, and 119 cases of forcible disappearances, including that of two women, held in Houthi prisons and six civilians detained in the prisons of the internationally-backed government.
In a statement, it said kidnapped and detained civilians have a right under international law to freedom, and those who have kidnapped them should be held fully responsible for their lives and safety.
The statement called on the United Nations and its special envoy to Yemen to put pressure on the concerned parties to reveal the fate of the forcibly disappeared civilians and grant them their rights without delay.
READ: Yemen mothers call on UAE-backed groups to release their sons
Jordan condemns Israel over Dome of the Rock repairs
On Sunday, Israeli police moved into the complex and prevented workers from the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf from carrying out renovation works at the mosque.
In a statement, the Jordanian Foreign Ministry rejected the Israeli action, saying the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf “is the sole authority responsible for taking care and overseeing the compound”.
The Waqf is a Jordanian-run organization responsible for overseeing Islamic and Christian holy sites in Jerusalem.
Israel occupied East Jerusalem, where Al-Aqsa is located, during the 1967 Arab-Israeli War. It annexed the entire city in 1980 in a move never recognized by the international community.
READ: Al-Aqsa Mosque’s ‘father of kittens’ dies of COVID-19 complications