Connect with us

News

NIN registration: NIMC workers threaten total shutdown

Published

on

Workers of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) have threatened a total shutdown if the Federal Government fails to address their demands.

NIMC workers on Wednesday asked the President Muhammadu Buhari government to see the 20-day window of the suspended industrial action as an advantage to address all their demands.

It said that failure to do so; the government will risk another strike by the Commission.

Speaking to Channels Television, the Chairman of the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria, NIMC Chapter, Asekokhai Lucky, said that the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Ali Pantami has not available for the meeting where he is expected to address even though the workers suspended the strike for this reason.

They cried out that Commission’s headquarters is lacking in adequate computers, insisting it slows down the pace of work.

The workers explain that the registration and capturing process takes about five minutes, but the lack of adequate computer systems slows the pace of work.

Last week, workers of the Commission went on strike, protesting poor welfare and the lack of motivation.

The strike was suspended on Monday after the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy intervened.

NIN registration: NIMC workers threaten total shutdown

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Sinkhole alert: Busy Cape Town road suffers ‘mini-collapse’

Published

on

An apparent ‘sinkhole’ has opened up on a major route servicing Cape Town. The issue has been reported on Victoria Road, after a local DA Councillor clocked the issue earlier in the day.

Where is this alleged ‘sinkhole’ in Cape Town?

Victoria Road is a scenic stretch that connects Sea Point, Camps Bay, and Bakoven to Hout Bay. The drive is a favourite amongst locals, and Llandudno Beach is also on the route. Not that anyone can go there during Level 3 of lockdown…

The sinkhole appears at a bend just before the 12 Apostles Hotel, on the carriageway heading towards Hout Bay. It’s positioned inside the yellow lane, but the issue has still been escalated to the local Roads Depot. If a motorist was to drive over it at speed, the depth and size of the hole could cause damage to some vehicles.

Drivers cautioned about Victoria Road ‘incident’

One quick-thinking bystander had the wits to put a large branch inside the so-called sinkhole, alerting motorists to a discrepancy within the road’s surface. It’s a move that could potentially prevent an accident.

Nicola Jowell is a Councillor for the Sea Point, Fresnaye, Bantry Bay, Clifton, and Camps Bay area. This part of the Atlantic Seaboard is under the jurisdiction of Ward 54, and the incident was reported just after midday on Sunday.

Please be cautious on Victoria Road just before the 12 Apostles Hotel. There is a sinkhole in the yellow lane (outbound). It has been reported to the Roads Depot for their urgent attention.

Nicola Jowell

This isn’t an isolated incident, either: Parts of Sea Point were submerged underwater back in November 2020, after a burst water pipe flooded Main Road. The torrents of water also flowed on St. John’s Road, causing chaos in one of the busiest areas of the Cape Town neighborhood. But, to the horror of many locals, a ‘sinkhole’ appeared to open up.

DMCA.com Protection Status


Continue Reading

News

Stakeholders react as Chevron, Conoil deny oil spill in Bayelsa communities

Published

on

Environmentalists, paramount ruler, chiefs, youth leader and women of Koluama 1&2 communities in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa state, have faulted claims by Chevron and Conoil that the January 16 oil spill near Funima field offshore was not from their facilities.

Recall that Muhabarishaji reported that fishermen around the Atlantic Ocean coastline had on Jan. 17 sighted and raised the alarm over an oil leak suspected to be from the Funiwa fields following the leakage of the previous day.

However, the operator of the nearby Funiwa field, Chevron, First Exploration and Production (First E& P) and Conoil Producing Limited who have operations near the spill incident location allegedly denied responsibility for the leakage.

According to Chief Young Marcus Goli, who represented the paramount ruler of Koluama 1, during the preliminary investigations visit by Bayelsa government officials, regulatory agencies and representatives of impacted communities, said this isn’t the first time such spill occurrence was witness in their community and whenever there’s spillage the issue is always swept under the carpet with proper clean up, compensations or other remediation.

“Whenever there’s spillage they sweep the issue under the carpet, the spill is spreading to other communities along the sea shores and the companies still deny they don’t know anything about it. We are not farmers but fishermen. Our fishing activities are all grounded and all our fishes are dead. Our oysters, periwinkles are all dead with the shallow area we fish; we can’t still get any.

“We are pushed to severe hunger. How can spill flow to the creeks if they are not operating there? We can’t fight them, that is why we are calling on government to help us because our people are sick due to the pollution and we need medical aides and food.

The Youth President of Koluama 1, Comrade Emmanuel Kiwei, seeks government’s intervention to provide quick medical relief, noting that the people have suffered so much in just a few days.

He said “The oil spill has polluted our communities and nothing has been to remedy the situation, we are always the worst hit when such an incident occurs. Our people are sick, that is why they can’t come out to protest, we need a medical team sent to us or they will all die.

“Farming is the only thing we know how to do, and our water for the past days has been impacted by the spilled crude from either Chevron or Conoil but the worst is that they have been denying, so tell me who else operates around here?”

A female indigene of Koluama 1, who gave her name as Madam Timimena Ekubo, said her net was destroyed by the crude when she hooked it to get fish, adding that she has been left to do nothing since she does fishing to feed her family.

The Chairman oil and gas Koluama clan, Engr. Ebimielayefa Dick-ogbeyan, wondered why the oil company who are responsible for the damage has not even shown up to empathise with the community.

Ebimielayefa, while commending the state government for the quick intervention to investigate the spill spot and find a solution, also pleaded for relief material and medical attention for the people.

Mr Alagoa Morris, an environmentalist and Head of Field Operations, Environment Right Action, a civil society body who was on the entourage, explained that the visit was not the statutory Joint Investigative Visit (JIV) that usually follows a spill.

Morris said that the trip could not be a JIV as none of the oil companies operating in the area was represented adding that it was a fact finding mission to assess the level of impact on the people and environment.

He, therefore, urged the government to always do everything to beat the oil industry politics, added that the Niger Delta governors must work together to have a special laboratory to do rapid tests on spills.

The Senior Special Adviser to the state government on oil and gas, Chief Timi Seimiebo, cautioned the people to be law-abiding, while assuring them of the government’s full support.

He said a test will be done on the samples of crude collected at the impacted areas to identify the companies involved.

Continue Reading

Ireland

Five-day mandatory quarantine ‘complete waste of time’ says public health expert

Published

on

A five-day quarantine requirement for passengers arriving into Ireland from abroad will still allow too many cases to spread into the community according to Dublin City University’s Professor Anthony Staines.

The measure is due to be considered by the Cabinet’s Covid sub-committee when they meet tomorrow, but Prof Staines said international evidence points suggests five days is not a long enough time period to protect again cases from overseas spreading into the community here.

“It’s a total waste of time. There’s a lot of work, particularly from the Americans and from Australia and New Zealand, which really says that you need to be keeping people in quarantine for 14 days,” said Prof Staines.

“Five [days] will release so many cases into the community, everything will just start up again. Five days is pointless.”

Additional measures aimed at non-essential travel will be among the main talking points at tomorrow’s meeting, with increased garda checkpoints near Dublin airport another possibility being considered.

Despite the plans, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said the Border with Northern Ireland would not be sealed and instead, a ‘two-island’ solution for mandatory quarantining was being discussed.

According to data from the Health Protection and Surveillance Centre (HPSC), in the two-week period from January 9th to 22nd, 175 or just 0.38 per cent of cases detected were related to travel. Between December 18th and 31st, travel related cases accounted for 0.67 per cent (102) of the 15,302 cases reported during that fortnight.

Ireland

Ireland and UK holding talks on ‘two-island’ manda…

It has also emerged that one flight last summer caused 59 Covid-19 cases across six HSE regions.

A study by Eurosurveillance found the flight, which was 17 per cent full, led to 13 confirmed cases within those on board.

Each of these had transferred via a large international airport, flying into Europe from three different continents and the chain of transmission after the plane landed in Ireland led to a further 46 cases, mainly driven by social gatherings.

Under Level 5 restrictions the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) continue to urge the public to avoid all non-essential travel.

Continue Reading