Connect with us

News

Pompeo afuta ziara ya Ulaya baada ya Luxembourg kumshambulia Trump

Published

on

Waziri wa mambo ya nchi za nje wa Marekani Mike Pompeo amefuta ziara yake rasmi ya mwisho barani Ulaya. Maafisa wamesema Pompeo alianza kwa kufuta ziara kwenda Luxembourg baada ya waziri wa mambo ya nchi za nje wa Luxembourg Jean Asselborn kumtaja Rais Trump kama mhalifu. 

Asselborn alimtaja Trump kuwa mwanasiasa mvurugaji ambaye ni lazima awajibishwe katika mahakama kufuatia tukio la wiki iliyopita ya wafuasi wake kuvamia majengo ya bunge. 

Pompeo pia alifuta ziara kuelekea Brussels kukutana na Katibu Mkuu wa Jumuiya ya Kujihami ya NATO pamoja na waziri wa mambo ya nchi za nje wa Ubelgiji.

 Ziara hiyo ya siku mbili ilipaswa kuwa ziara ya mwisho ya kigeni kwa waziri huyo kabla ya kuapishwa kwa Rais Mteule Joe Biden.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ireland

Ireland making ‘clear progress’ says CMO but Level 5 likely for February

Published

on

Ireland is making “clear progress” when it came to reducing the incidence rate of Covid-19, but still has a “very large burden of infection” according to the Chief Medical Officer.

Dr Tony Holohan added the incidence of the virus in Ireland is now 10 times higher than it was when the Government eased public health restrictions in December and the country’s efforts to drive down the rate of infection must be maintained.

His comments come after Taoiseach Micheál Martin said Level 5 restrictions will likely continue “well into” February.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin (Brian Lawless/PA)

Speaking at the National Public Health Emergency Team’s (Nphet) briefing Dr Holohan said: “On December 1st, when we last eased restrictions, our five-day moving average was 261 cases per day, today it is almost 10 times that number at 2,430 cases per day.

“It is evident that the population is working as one to reduce contacts and interrupt further transmission of the disease. However, we are witnessing the effects of high levels of community transmission through our hospital and ICU admissions and reported deaths.

“We need to continue to work together to drive this infection down and bring the disease back under control.”

It comes as the chief executive of the HSE said the Covid-19 situation in hospitals is at the “highest level of concern that we’ve ever had”.

Thursday saw a further 51 deaths due to Covid-19 and 2,608 new cases of Covid-19 recorded by the Department of Health.

Asked how long Covid-19 restrictions may remain in place Dr Holohan said Nphet did not have any reason to disagree with the Taoiseach’s expectations that Level 5 would continue for a number of weeks.

Dr Holohan said: “We have a very significant burden of infection. Looking at infection levels two weeks ago: they were very high, clearly very high.

“We’ve now reduced substantially in relative terms since then, but we have to look back to the beginning of December. We’re still 10 times higher.”

“It is simply a level of infection that’s way too high,” he added.

“We have further progress we have to make.”

The Taoiseach told Virgin Media’s Ireland AM that transmission rates of the virus were still too high to ease restrictions.

The Cabinet sub-committee on Covid-19 is expected to meet on Monday to finalise plans to extend the current restrictions before Cabinet ministers approve the measures at a meeting on Tuesday.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn told the briefing that more than 500 people had died of Covid-19 in Ireland so far this month.

He warned that the trend was expected to continue over the coming days.

Ireland

Coronavirus latest data: How many cases are there…

“Sadly so far in the month of January there have been 532 deaths associated with Covid-19,” he said. “This compares with a total of 174 such deaths in the month of December and 164 such deaths in November.”

Earlier it emerged Dr Holohan had warned the Government last week that the death toll was likely to be up to 1,000 by the end of the month.

In a letter to the Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly on January 14th, Dr Holohan said the latest modelling data suggested that there could be at least 25 to 30 deaths a day.

Continue Reading

Iran

Culture min., Cinema Organization head send messages to TISFF

Published

on

Culture min., Cinema Organization head send messages to TISFF

Salehi, in his message to TISFF, which was inaugurated in Tehran on Jan 20, said the short film is a quatrain of the world of images and the  Iranians are forerunners in writing couplets in the world and will be the same in producing short films. 

In the meantime, Entezami in his message hailed the organizers of the festival and wished further success for them.

Commenting on holding the festival in an online format, Entezami underscored that good measures have been taken and instead of shutting down and being passive in the face of the Coronavirus phenomenon.

He said the festival organizers have created new opportunities and conditions, including the distancing of different sections of the festival.

Entezami also hoped that a significant part of the works, which in terms of quality and quantity, will be considered more and better than the performance of young filmmakers last year.

Presided by Sadeq Mousavi, some 63 short films will vie in the international section of the event from 19 countries including France, India, US, Spain, Germany, Ghana, China, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Turkey, Australia, Bulgaria, Denmark, Russia, South Africa, Belgium, Kazakhstan as well as Iran.

The short films will also stream online for filmgoers during the event, and winners will be announced on January 25.

In this year edition, over 4,986 foreign and 1,700 Iranian short films were submitted to different sections of the festival.

In the meantime, 146 Iranian films are competing in the national sections of the event which include feature, documentary, experimental and animation.

MNA/PR

Continue Reading