Connect with us

News

Sduduzo Magwaza murder: ANC campaigner and loyalist gunned down

Published

on

A close confidant and colleague of Former eThekwini mayor and KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) ANC MP Zandile Gumede has been shot dead in his home, with police searching for those responsible. 

Sduduzo Magwaza – who was one of Gumede’s chief campaigners – was shot dead late on Tuesday night at his Cornubia village flat in Durban

Police hunting suspects

South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele said that two unknown suspects with unclear motive committed the killing on Tuesday evening. 

“A case of murder was opened at  Verulam police station for investigation,” she said. “It is alleged that on 12 January 2021 at 22:45, the 42-year-old victim was at his flat in Cornubia, Verulam when he shot by two unknown people who fled the scene on foot.”

Mbele said that Magwaza sustained multiple gunshot wound on the body and was taken to hospital when discovered, but sadly succumbed to his injuries. 

“The motive for the killing is unknown,” she added. 

ANC ‘shocked and saddened’ by campaigner’s killing

A spokesperson from the ANC regional task team in eThekwini, acting ANC RTT regional coordinator Sibongile Khathi, said that the news had shocked the party to its core. 

“Cadre Magwaza, who was a deputy chairperson of the Gedley’hlekisa Zone, was shot by unknown assailants last night in Cornubia, north of Durban. He was rushed to hospital but unfortunately succumbed to his fatal injuries a short while later,” she said.

She said that Magwaza, who was a staunch supporter of former President Jacob Zuma as well as Gumede, had been a loyal servant of the party for many years. 

“Siduduzo Magwaza grew within the ranks of the ANCYL and later served as a member of the branch executive committee in ward 30 where he served as a BEC member and later branch deputy secretary of the ANC in ward 30.”

DMCA.com Protection Status


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

International Organisations

UN: 43% of Yemen families reduce daily meals due to economic volatility

Published

on

43 per cent of Yemeni families have been forced to reduce the number of their daily meals due to the country’s economic fluctuations, the United Nations (UN) World Food Programme (WFP) in Yemen announced yesterday.

“Economic volatility & conflict means that many in Yemen regularly reduce the frequency or size of their meals or parents eat less so they can feed their children,” the WFP posted on Twitter.

Experts have said in recent months that Yemeni citizens’ purchasing power had declined due to a collapse of the national currency, with more than 900 riyals against the US dollar, reaching its peak last November.

Impoverished Yemen has been mired in a conflict since the Houthis ousted the government from power in the capital city of Sanaa in late 2014. The conflict escalated in March 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition intervened, backing the Yemeni government.

The UN has said that the war has led to the worst humanitarian crisis globally, leaving 80 per cent of the population dependent on humanitarian aid to survive, and more than 100,000 dead.

READ: Biden to review Houthi terrorist designation and curb support for Saudi coalition

Continue Reading

Ireland

Nothing rushed about special education reopening says Foley

Published

on

The Minister for Education has denied there was anything rushed about the botched reopening of special education, as talks with unions continue.

Norma Foley says every effort is being made to ensure children with special educational needs can return to school.

Students with special education needs had been due attend classes in-person once again from today, before talks between the Department of Education and the unions collapsed on Tuesday.

Union representatives said staff were hesitant to return to the classroom with the current high levels of Covid-19 in the community.

Ms Foley accused the unions of being “disingenuous” saying it was regretful they would not accept the public health advice that schools are a safe, controlled environment.

Describing Ireland as an outlier when it comes to students with special educational needs not attending classes in-person, Minister Foley said opposition assertions that the plan was not thought through are wrong.

Referencing the Minister’s comments regarding the talks with teachers’ and special needs assistants’ representatives, Labour’s education spokesperson Aodhan O’Riordain said Ms Foley should not make comments in public if she wants to get a deal.

“Say what you have to say in private with those unions who have also committed to do the same thing and then potentially we may have a road map for achieving what we all want, which is that education can be delivered [to] those who need it most,” said Mr O’Riordain.

Despite the difficulties, Fórsa, which represents special needs assistants, has reaffirmed its commitment to resuming education for students with additional needs, resuming engagement with Department officials this afternoon to “improve safety provision and re-build confidence”.

Continue Reading