A team of armed security operatives has been deployed to the Zamfara State office of the National Identification Management Commission in Gusau, to protect the lives and properties of the workers.
Our correspondent who visited the office reports that it was sealed while no official of the commission could be sighted, except security men who were patrolling the premises.
However, one Haruna Abdulahi who said he is a messenger in the office told our reporter that the workers were on strike due to the inability of the management of the commission to implement the approved minimum wage.
Abdulahi claimed that since the federal government and the labour unions agreed on a new minimum wage two years ago, the management of the commission has not mentioned anything about it.
He also alleged that workers promotions have been stalled without any implementation, forcing the workers to agitate.
“Everyone knows quite well the pressure mounted on us by Nigerians due to the rush to obtain their national identification cards, yet our management feels unconcerned” he lamented.
Muhabarishaji gathered that the national identification cards seekers were distancing themselves from the area due to the presence of the armed security men in the area.
When asked what brought about the presence of the armed security men in the area, Abdulahi said that the officials of the commission were afraid that the angry crowd of customers could use the opportunity to destroy and loot properties in the commission.
Again, FG to shut down Third Mainland Bridge Friday
The federal government will again shut down the Third Mainland Bridge this weekend for another round of expansion joints replacement.
The bridge would be closed from midnight on Friday to midnight on Monday, February 1.
Federal Controller of Works Lagos, Olukayode Popoola made the announcement on Wednesday.
Popoopla told NAN that construction works had reached the stage for casting concrete on additional three expansion joints.
He said there was a need to stop all movements on the bridge that could cause vibrations.
The official appealed for the understanding of Lagos residents.
“Messers Boroni Prono is planning to cast three number expansion joints on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st. We are sorry for the inconveniences this may cause Lagosians,” he said.
The bridge, which links the mainland and island, was partially shut from July 24, 2020.
Since then, other routes that usually witnessed traffic are now mostly blocked.
Again, FG to shut down Third Mainland Bridge Friday
COVID-19: Buhari signs new regulations for churches, markets, use of face masks
President Muhammadu Buhari has signed the Coronavirus Disease Health Protection 2021.
The regulation makes the use of face masks in public places compulsory, as Nigeria battles with the second wave of COVID-19.
This was confirmed by Boss Mustapha, the Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, while addressing journalists in Abuja on Wednesday.
Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Federal Government, confirmed Buhari signed the document on Tuesday.
According to him, the President signed the document in the exercise of the powers conferred by Section 4 of the Quarantine Act, Cap. Q2 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2010.
Part 2 of the regulation stipulates that no one will be allowed within the premises of a market, mall, supermarket, shop, gardens, leisure parks, recreation centres, restaurants, hotels, event centres, motor parks, fitness centre, etc “except he is wearing a face mask that covers the nose and mouth, he washes his hands or cleaned the hands using hand sanitiser approved by NAFDAC and his body temperature has been checked.
Anyone whose body temperature is above 38 degrees Celsius will be denied entry and advised to seek immediate medical attention.
Part 1 deals with restrictions on gatherings. It stipulates that at all gatherings, a two-metre physical distance shall be maintained at all times between persons.
It added, “No gathering of more than 50 persons shall be held in an enclosed space, except for religious purposes, in which case the gathering shall not exceed 50 per cent capacity of the space.”
Cross River Assembly to confirm Justice Akom Ikpeme as substantive Chief Judge Thursday
An operative with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr Bello Hamma-Adama, on Wednesday, told a Federal High Court in Abuja that a sum of N75 million was recovered from Halima, wife of a former Minister for Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Tanimu Turaki.
Tanimu Turaki was a Minister in the President Goodluck Jonathan-led government between 2013 and 2015.
Turaki also served as a supervising Minister for the Federal Ministry of Labour between 2014 and 2015.
Hamma-Adama, the 5th prosecution witness (PW5) in the ongoing trial of Turaki, made the disclosure before Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja.
He, however, said the money was later transferred in tranches into private individuals’ accounts.
Giving the breakdown, Hamma-Adama, who was the lead investigator in the agency, said N45 million was transferred to the Minister’s brother, Abdullahi Maigwandu, through his Zenith Bank account.
Out of the N45 million, he said Maigwandu transferred N20 million to the Guarantee Trust Bank account of Halima Tanimu Turaki, the ex-minister’s wife.
According to him, the sum of N20 million was transferred to O-Pec Nig Ltd.
Hamma-Adama said that the remaining N5 million was withdrawn in China using the ATM of Maigwandu by Halima to procure furniture items.
He said, “N30 million was transferred to Abubakar Sani Gude’s Zenith Bank account from the ministry’s account, and the N30 million was sent to the wife of the 1st defendant (Turaki).
“We called for the Maigwandu’s account statement in Zenith Bank. We discovered he is a civil servant in Kebbi on a salary of about N33, 000.
“We suspected a case of money laundering, and we did a network analysis, and we discovered that he could not have owned that money because he is on N33, 000 salary.”
“He said he is a brother to the former minister and that the money was transferred on his instruction,” he added.
However, the Judge, Justice Ekwo adjourned the matter until Feb. 9 and Feb. 10 for trial continuation.
Recall that the EFCC had arraigned the former Minister (1st defendant) alongside his former Special Assistant, Sampson Okpetu (2nd defendant), and two firms; Samtee Essentials Ltd and Pasco Investment Ltd, on 16 counts of money laundering.
The duo had pleaded not guilty to the charges.