The Electoral Commission said registration for special votes is open from the 20th of September to the 4th of October.
The IEC has urged eligible voters to go and register to minimise long queues and crowding on the day of elections because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The local government elections will take place on the 1st of November.
ALSO READ: Local Elections: Party with the fewest votes in 2019 ‘will run again this year’
The special vote allows a registered voter who can’t vote at their voting station on election day to apply to vote on a predetermined day before election day.
By law, special votes can only be cast on the dates specified in the election timetable, and no exceptions can be made.
Do you qualify for a special vote?
You can apply if you:
- Are a registered voter;
- Have a valid South African identity document (green, barcoded ID book; smartcard ID, or a valid Temporary Identity Certificate).
To check that you’re registered and to find out where you’re registered, you can:
By law, you can apply for a special vote if you:
- Can’t travel to your voting station because you are physically infirm, disabled or pregnant, or
- can’t vote at your voting station on election day.
How to apply for a special vote at my voting station?
If you can’t vote at your voting station on election day, you can apply to cast a special vote at your voting station on the predetermined date only, as per the election timetable, in one of the following ways:
- Using our secured online application form
- Click here to submit special vote
- By SMSing your identity number to 32249 (R1.00 per SMS). (For special vote at a voting station ONLY)
- By visiting your local IEC office (not the national or provincial offices) and submitting an MEC 35 form. Forms can only be hand-delivered (no emails or faxes accepted), but someone else can deliver your completed form on your behalf.
You will receive an SMS notifying you of the outcome once your application has been processed, but you can also check the status of your special vote application online.