South African president Cyril Ramaphosa has confirmed that the country is stepping into lockdown level 1 as of Friday 1 October, the announcement was made on Thursday night 30 September.
COVID-19 CASES DROP, VACCINATION NUMBERS RISE
Ramaphosa said the decision to move to level 1 was due to declining Covid-19 cases and growing numbers of Mzansi citizens getting vaccinated.
Some of the highlights of the altered restrictions include the curfew falling between 00:00 to 4:00, restaurants and bars enjoying added hours, and the sale of liquor will be permitted seven days a week.
Here are the full changes:
- Curfew is now in place from 00:00 to 4:00 – shortened by one hour.
- People are free to buy alcohol, on or off-site, everyday (but no later than 23:00).
- Restaurants, bars, and gyms, etc can stay open until 23:00.
- The maximum number of people allowed to meet indoors is now up to 750.
- The maximum number of people allowed to meet outdoors is now up to 2 000. Smaller venues must only accommodate 50% of capacity.
- 100 people can now attend a funeral, which is up from 50. But after-tears gatherings are still banned.
The level 1 move has typically drawn high excitement from Mzani peeps but not from everyone though.
MZANSI’S REACTIONS TO LEVEL 1
Here are some of the most popular reactions that came from Twitter on Thursday night going into Friday morning.