More
    - Advertisement -

    Household Items Posing Danger in Kenyan Homes

    -

    - Ad Keep reading below -
  • There are numerous household items that Kenyans use on a day-to-day basis that seem harmless but could be, causing injuries or even death.

    Below are some of the items, which may be efficient but may cause fatalities if not properly handled;

    1.) Gas

    - Ad Keep reading below -

    A number of houses in Kenya use gas cylinders for cooking. While they may be efficient and help save time, they have also proven to be dangerous resulting in explosions and the death of family members.

    Gas explosions are caused by faulty equipment for example pipes which may cause a leak. If the leaked gas is exposed to an ignition source such as heat or fire, it has the potential to explode.

    - Ad Keep reading below -

    Some of the important precautions that need to be taken to ensure safety in a house include; storing the cylinder in an upright position and in a well-ventilated space away from heat, open fire or children.

    Beware of smell that may indicate that the gas is leaking. In case of this smell, do not light a fire or operate any electrical switches. Open all doors and windows, disconnect the cylinder and place it outside the building.

    ALSO READ  Bar Owners Threaten to Sue EABL Over Bottle Wars
    ALSO READ  What Happens if Motorists Keep Off Nairobi Expressway? - Transport CS Explains

    It is also important to return the cylinder to the station of purchase in case you detect a leak.

    File image of a house on fire
    File image of a house on fire
    Facebook

    2.) Faulty shower heads

    - Ad Keep reading below -

    Faulty showerheads are ticking time bombs that pose a fatal danger to the occupants of a house.

    James Kimani, an electrician told Muhabarishaji.com that water heaters can lead to loss of lives by electrocution if not installed or maintained properly.

    ‚ÄúSome fake cables will heat up and burn the insulating sheath to expose the wire carrying the current to the water which can be deadly,‚ÄĚ he explained.¬†

    It is important to get an electrician to check for any loose connections regularly, as the earth wire can sometimes get disconnected. 

    A photo showing the inside and an instant shower head
    A photo showing the inside and an instant shower head
    File

    3.) Extension Cords

    An extension cord can be extremely dangerous if misused or overloaded. It can cause fires that can lead to deaths.

    It is important to inspect all extension cords at the beginning of the day for any signs of wear or damage and remove any worn, severely discolored or damaged cords from usage immediately.

    ALSO READ  Deputy Gov, Egbeyemi hails Ekiti people at New Year, says 2021 will be better

    4.) Slippery titles

    Slippery surfaces in bathrooms can cause falls which can be fatal if you hit your head or neck on a hard surface.

    ALSO READ  Vatican inasema chanjo za corona 'zinakubalika kimaadili'

    Health experts indicate that hitting your head on a hard surface can cause a concussion. They add that blood from intracranial bleeding may press against the brain and eventually cause death. 

    One should make sure that proper designs for different rooms in a house are fitted to avoid such accidents. 

    5.) Jiko

    In January 2021, a family of five members was found dead in their house in Githurai, Nairobi County. The five suffocated to death due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    This family represents hundreds of others who die in their sleep after inhaling the deadly carbon monoxide emitted by the burning charcoal. 

    The challenge is not limited in the informal settlements. In 2011, a house help at ODM Leader Raila Odinga’s Karen home,¬†¬†Leonida Namayemba, was found dead after she closed herself in one of the rooms with a jiko which she hoped would keep her warm.¬†

    ALSO READ  Junet's Special Visit to State House Raises Eyebrows

    Jikos are considered silent killers among families who light them in a bid to keep themselves warm behind closed doors during the cold weather.

    Experts say that poisoning happens in humans when carbon monoxide is trapped in poorly ventilated and contained spaces. 

    File image of a burning jiko
    File image of a burning jiko
    Facebook
  • - read any article below now-

    Latest news

    EPL: Michael Owen predicts Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, other games

    Michael Owen, a former Real Madrid forward has predicted this weekend’s English Premier League matchday 32 fixtures. Everton will host Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison Park...

    Water crisis: Taps in Kwanobuhle on the verge of running dry

    The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality water services department is preparing for the inevitable day that taps will run dry in Kwanobuhle. With dam...

    Crowd seen ‚Äėpartying‚Äô in Dublin park dispersed by garda√≠

    A large crowd said to be ‚Äúpartying‚ÄĚ at a park in Dublin city were dispersed by garda√≠ on Thursday night. The Irish Times reports...
    - Advertisement -

    You might also likeRELATED
    Recommended to you

    - Advertisement -