You can add another user on Telegram using their number or username.
Telegram has paved its way among users as a freemium app for communication. It allows people to connect through phone numbers and usernames.
You can add people to your Telegram account via iPhone, an Android smartphone, and even a desktop computer. Furthermore, you don’t need a phone number in your contact list to add it on Telegram. We’ll be discussing how to add a new contact on Telegram via any device.
It’s pretty easy to add contacts on Telegram. Let’s dive in to see how it works.
Following are the steps to add a new contact on Telegram via an iPhone:
- Open Telegram.
- Tap the New Message icon located at the top-right of the screen.
- From there, tap New Contact.
- Enter your new contact’s first and last names and then their contact number in the mobile section.
- Tap Create.
If the person is on Telegram, your contact list will be updated automatically. Another way to add people on Telegram is with a username.
- Tap the Search Chats section located on top of the app.
- Type the exact username of the person you wish to add.
- Select the username to open the chat.
- Next, tap their username on top of the screen to open a menu.
- Choose the Add to Contacts option.
- Change the first name and last name of the person if you want.
- Toggle the Share My Phone Number tab to turn it off to increase your safety and privacy on Telegram.
- Tap Done.
If the person you added doesn’t have a Telegram account, it will show Invite to Telegram option next to their name and number. You can also delete a contact on Telegram if it’s an unknown user.
Telegram on Android devices has a different interface than iOS. Follow these steps to add a new contact on the app via an Android device.
- Open the Telegram app.
- Locate and select the New Message icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Next, tap the Add Contact icon.
- Fill in the first name, last name, country, and mobile number.
- Press the Tick icon to confirm your changes.
You can also add a contact by inserting their Telegram username.
- Tap the Search icon in the top-right corner of the home screen.
- In the Search bar, enter the username of the person you want to add.
- When the results pop up, select the user you want to add. You will be navigated to the chat section.
- Tap the three dots in the top-right corner and select Add to contacts. Untick the Share my phone number option if you don’t want to show it.
Via the Desktop App
Telegram is also accessible on your desktop. You can open it on your web browser or download Telegram for Windows/Mac.
- Open the Telegram app on your desktop and log in to your account.
- Click the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of your screen to open a menu.
- From the menu, select Contacts.
- Click the Add Contact button and insert the first name, last name, and contact number of the user you wish to add.
- Once done, click Create.
To add people by their usernames via the desktop Telegram app:
- Open Contacts and click the Search Bar.
- Enter and select the username of the person you want to add.
- Next, tap Add to Contacts on the left and change the username if you wish.
- Click Done to save changes.
Grow Your Circle on Telegram
Telegram allows you to add people using their mobile numbers and usernames. After adding the contact, you can connect with the person via messages or calls, depending on the privacy settings of their Telegram account.
Once added, the contact is automatically synced with your current contact list. Ensure that the person has an account on Telegram when adding them.
While the app allows its users to add anyone, it is important to take precautions and include people in your list whom you feel are relevant and safe to communicate with.