Discord stores its messages on servers, meaning you can delete messages from private conversations. This contrasts with messaging apps that store message data on smartphones. However, some people don’t know how to remove DMs or do so in one swoop.
Besides removing them manually, there are several other ways to delete messages on Discord. It’s much easier to wipe DMs with a PC, but you might not always have one nearby. Read on to find out more.
Delete Discord DMs From a Mobile Device
The only way to delete messages in private conversations on a mobile device is by manually purging them one by one. Discord doesn’t have a mass DM wipe function on any platform by default, so the only supported way is the slow process. Here’s how it works.
- Launch Discord on your mobile device.
- Tap on the message icon.
- Select a conversation.
- Look for a message you want to delete.
- Press and hold the message with your finger.
- When the list of options pops up, select “Delete Message.”
- The message is now deleted.
Because you can’t use Windows hotkeys on a mobile device, there’s no way to speed-delete the texts. Some users may figure out the muscle memory and timing after several tries to increase the process. But most may find that it’s probably not much faster than individual deletions.
The controls are identical whether you use Discord for iOS or Android. Since August 2022, Discord has decided to merge the two through React Native, an open-source UI framework. This integration eliminates previous user interface differences for a seamless experience.
Delete Discord DMs From a PC
Discord is available on PC as a standalone app or through your favorite browsers. They’re identical in almost every way, so it doesn’t matter which one you prefer. The steps below will help with deleting DMs.
- Open Discord on your PC.
- Click on the messages icon.
- Pick one of your conversations.
- Hover the cursor a message and click on the triple dots that appear.
- Choose “Delete Message.”
- Go ahead with message deletion.
- Repeat if necessary.
While this method is helpful for single messages, being on PC allows you to use Discord’s hotkeys. These make the process much faster.
- Open Discord.
- Go to the list of conversations through the messages icon.
- Open a DM.
- Press the Up arrow key twice.
- Select all text in the message with the “Ctrl + A” shortcut.
- Delete the texts using Backspace or Delete.
- Hit the Enter key.
- If Discord asks you again, press Enter to confirm.
- Repeat as needed.
Using hotkeys is much quicker than pointing and clicking each message, making message deletion more efficient.
However, while this is a helpful way to delete messages, there’s another way to improve upon it.
Delete Discord DMs Script
Scripts are a set of instructions you can provide to the computer to run. When a script is executed, the computer will follow the instructions to the letter. You can use scripts to delete DMs on Discord while on a PC.
However, using scripts is seen as breaking the Discord Terms of Service. Thus, we recommend you practice caution as you delete messages with them.
- Download and install AutoHotKey.
- Launch AutoHotKey and keep it active.
- Download the Discord.ahk file from this page.
- Run the file you just downloaded.
- Click “Okay” when a pop-up saying “This Script Is Active!” appears.
- Go to the Discord client or browser version.
- Head to the DMs you want to delete.
- Select a message and press “Delete.”
- Scroll up if you want to keep removing DMs.
Scrolling is necessary if you use AutoHotKey because Discord only loads messages as you reach them on the screen. Therefore, you can’t only leave the script running and expect a clean wipe.
This script is actually the hotkeys method but on steroids. Instead of pressing the keys yourself, you’re essentially using a script functioning as a macro. Macros will keep repeating until you pause the script, and that’s when you finally delete everything.
There’s another way to use scripts. It’s called Undiscord and is slightly more challenging to install.
- Get the Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey extensions for your browser.
- Download and install Undiscord.
- Open the browser version of Discord.
- Click on the trash can icon in the top-right corner.
- Select “Get”
- Click on “Start” to begin deleting.
Unfortunately, Undiscord doesn’t work with Macs anymore. It also only functions on the browser version, so the standalone client is out of the question.
Delete Discord DM History With Bots
Unfortunately, Discord doesn’t allow users to delete their DMs with bots. Doing so is also against the Terms of Service. However, some bots have commands that let you delete the messages sent to your channel or server if you’re the moderator.
Each bot is different, meaning you must look for the correct command. The help function might reveal it. If not, the bot’s download page should contain a list of all commands.
Bots can’t delete the texts you sent to it because only you can do that. This security feature prevents anyone from tampering with your messages with a simple bot.
Can you delete other users’ DMs?
No, you can’t delete the messages other users sent you in a DM or elsewhere. The only way to make them disappear is if the sender permanently wiped them from the chat.
Are deleted DMs truly gone?
Yes and no. When a private message is deleted, the sender and receiver won’t be able to see it. However, Discord’s servers will keep a copy, which might be discoverable if a court orders the company to surrender them.
You Can’t See It
Even though Discord doesn’t natively support mass message deletion, some third-party solutions help make deleting texts faster. However, some of them can break Discord’s Terms of Service, and you might be banned. Fortunately, banning doesn’t happen very often.
What improvements would you like to see on Discord to better implement message deletions? Which method do you prefer using? Let us know in the comments section below.