South Africa is starting a new year in ominous fashion once more – and on this occasion, we can’t blame it on COVID-19. Just days after Parliament was torched in Cape Town, a solitary suspect launched a violent attack on ConCourt in Johannesburg.

ConCourt attack: Who is the suspect?

Police were called to Constitution Hill earlier on Wednesday, and the suspect was arrested at the scene. However, the highest court in the land has been left battered and bruised, after extensive damage was caused by the alleged vandal. Details remain scarce, but here’s what we know about him:

  • He has only been identified as a 36-year-old male.
  • The suspect remains in police custody, and will appear in court later this week.
  • The man used a hammer to break windows and smash glass doors at the ConCourt building. Rocks were also thrown at the buiding.
  • He is facing a charge of ‘malicious damage to property’.
  • The perp refused to stop attacking the building when asked by police, but did so once they fired a warning shot.
  • His motivations are yet to be established – and it’s unclear if there are any links to the Parliament Fire, either.

Opposition politicians furious with ‘moronic’ leadership

This incident has upset a number of politicians, including DA shadow minister Dean Macpherson. He believes that the wanton destruction of national key points in Mzansi has actually been encouraged by the government’s response to the July Riots.

Macpherson says that ‘there are clearly no consequences’ for those trying to destabilise the country:

“Just in the last six months, we’ve have the July unrest, Parliament burns down, and then the Constitutional Court gets attacked today. Where is crime intelligence and state security? We are being led by morons…”

“The failure to arrest the 12 people Ramaphosa told us caused the July riots has signalled to those who wish to destabilise SA that there will be no consequences for their actions.”

Dean Macpherson



This article Belongs to

News Source link

Tagged in: