What are digital vaccination certificates?
Phaahla, addressing an early morning media briefing, revealed that the document would be accessible via a smartphone, but a physical copy can also be printed off and stored in person. The minister went on to state:
- You can only get a digital vaccination certificate if your vaccination details are recorded on the EVDS.
- This will be in line with WHO requirements to standardising vaccine certificates for all, to reduce fraud risks.
- However, this does not yet signal a shift to ‘vaccine passports’ for travellers coming into the country.
How many South Africans have had a vaccine?
Just over 26% of the South African adult population has been vaccinated against the virus, with the Western Cape leading all other provinces in its jabbing rates – 34% of citizens here are now fully immunised against COVID-19. In the Friday morning presser. Phaahla reassured the earliest recipients of the shots that they would also get a certificate.
“The department will commence with the development of a digital vaccination certificate. The certificates will be available in just over one week – even to those who received their jab a few months ago. We have made sure that this certificate will be protected from fraud, can be accessed on a smartphone, and can be printed.”
What will digital vaccination certificates be used for?
On Wednesday, Deputy President David Mabuza suggested that the country would need to hit ‘a 70% vaccination rate’ before stadiums and concert venues could fully reopen. He believes this target can be reached before the end of the year, but it’ll be touch and go to see if as many as 7 out of 10 South Africans actually do get vaccinated.
The digital certificate would be used as a tool for citizens to gain entry into venues that choose to make vaccination status a condition of entry. As South Africa heads into 2022, more facilities will be able to exercise this right. Although some worry about the infringement on personal rights, others believe it is a necessary move to ease COVID risks.
#Phaahla: [Thread] 1. BREAKING
1. In about 1 week, vaccinated SAs are likely to be issued with digital vaccination certificates
2. The certificates can be uploaded onto smart phones + will be printable
3. You can only get a certificate if your vax details = recorded on the #EVDS
— Mia Malan (@miamalan) September 10, 2021