Mondli Majola’s body was exhumed by the state on Tuesday, 12 October. The 19-year-old was one of the 36 people killed in Phoenix, KwaZulu-Natal, during the unrest in July. His body was re-examined because there is a dispute over the cause of his death. A government forensic pathologist said the teenager was stabbed to death, while the investigating officer testified that he was shot in the face too.

MAJOLA FAMILY DISAPPOINTED BY ABSENCE

At the time of his premature death, Mondli Majola was living in Amatoti, Inanda. However, he was buried at his family home in Flagstaff, Eastern Cape, where his body was privately exhumed on Tuesday.

Majola’s family told SABC News that they were “bitterly disappointed” about not being present at the exhumation.

“There is nothing else we can do. We were told that this is the only way to get justice. The family is going through a very difficult time,” said Majola’s mother, Nombuso.

The exhumation comes after contradictory evidence was presented to the Verulam Magistrate’s Court. A state pathologist’s report said he was stabbed to death but investigating officer Siphosenkosi Shezi testified that Majola was shot in the face too.

Video footage, captured by the CCTV camera of a nearby home, of the incident in which brothers Dylan and Ned Govender and Jeetendra Jaikissoon allegedly killed Majola was played to the court previously.

In the footage, it appears that Majola was attacked with an unknown object and struck on the head and thighs, according to EWN. The deceased got back onto his feet but fell down shortly afterwards and lay motionless.

Learnmore Siwela, Majola’s father, told SABC News that watching the footage of how his son and others were attacked infuriated him. “If they had shown remorse. But as I was watching that footage it shows what their intentions was. They enjoyed each and every part of what they were doing…”

The bail application of the three murder-accused is yet to be finalised by the Verulam Magistrate’s Court.

ALSO READ:

Tagged in: