The United Nations in South Africa has affirmed it support to helping KwaZulu-Natal rebuild its communities and economy following the recent violent unrest that swept the province.
Resident Coordinator of the United Nations in South Africa, Nardos Bekele-Thomas, affirmed the UN’s support and commitment to the rebuilding of the communities affected by the violent unrest in the KwaZulu-Natal Province earlier this month.
This comes as Bekele-Thomas leads a UN delegation that is currently visiting the province to assess the impact of the unrest that left more than 300 people dead and many more displaced, vulnerable and unemployed.
“Our support to KwaZulu Natal is unconditional and we are going to work with you in an emergency mode not just for the immediate needs but for the medium and long-term which is now an emergency,” Bekele-Thomas told KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala and the members of his Executive Provincial Council during a meeting in Durban on Thursday afternoon.
One of the key outcomes of the meeting was the establishment of a task team between the UN and the Premier’s office, which will also include civil society organisations, who are expected to meet monthly, to assess the progress made on rebuilding the province. The task team plans to ensure that the province is rebuilt in line with the outcomes set out in the District Development Model.
The UN said in a statement that its delegation would embark on a visit to unrest affected communities in the province on Friday.