Instagram Reels is a feature on the Instagram platform that allows users to create short, 15-second videos with effects, music, or other audio. Users edit videos with various creative tools, such as filters, speed controls, and text overlays. They can then share their Reels with their followers and explore popular Reels from other users in a dedicated section of the app.
This article introduces the main features of Reels, how to create them, and how to share them.
What Are the Main Features of Instagram Reels?
Some of the primary Instagram Reels features include:
- Video Recording: Users can record and edit videos using the Instagram camera, with the option to add music, text, and other creative effects.
- Music Library: Users can choose from a library of licensed music to add to their videos.
- Duet and Remix: Users can participate in “duet” videos with other users. They can add their footage to an existing video or create a “remix” by adding their own elements.
- Speed Control: Users can adjust the speed of their videos to create slow-motion or time-lapse effects.
- Sharing: User can share their videos on the Reel section of their profile, as well as on their Instagram Stories and in direct messages. They can also share the Reels to other platforms such as Facebook and TikTok.
- Discovery: Users can browse popular and trending videos across the platform through the Reels tab. Other users can discover their Reels as well.
How to Create Instagram Reels
Overall, creating Instagram Reels is a straightforward process.
Follow these steps to start creating your Instagram Reels on an Android device:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap on the plus sign at the top or tap the Reel icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Reel.”
- Tap the red record button at the bottom of the screen to start recording a clip or video, and select it again to end the recording. You can also add a pre-recorded video from your camera roll by choosing the gallery box in the bottom left.
- Go to “Preview.”
- Select “Edit clips” in the bottom left to use the editing tools to trim, add music, and enhance your video.
- At the top, there are some options to include, such as stickers, drawings, and text. Tap the download icon if you want to save the video.
- To edit the cover photo and add a caption to the Reel, select “Edit cover.”
- Once satisfied with your Reel, tap the “Share” button to post it to your profile and the homepage.
The steps are more or less the same for iPhone:
- Tap on the plus sign at the top.
- Select “Reel.”
- Press and hold the red record button to start recording.
- To record multiple clips, release the button and press it again to start a new clip.
- Tap the “Next” button once you’ve recorded your clips.
- Go to “Edit clips” to trim the clip and add music, text, or other effects.
- Select “Share.”
Based on the Instagram policy, effective since July 2022, most videos can only be shared as Reels. However, this change will not affect videos previously published on the Feed or Instagram web. They will not be converted to Reels and will remain as videos.
Who Can View and Share Your Instagram Reels?
By default, Instagram Reels are visible to all your followers and are shareable by anyone who can see them. On the other hand, you can also make Reels private so that only people you approve can see and share them. It depends on your account’s privacy settings:
Anyone on Instagram and Facebook can see your Reels. People can see your Reels on pages such as the Reels tab, hashtag, effect, and audio. Additionally, anyone on Instagram can create a Reel with your original audio or remix using your Reel.
With this setting, only your followers can see and share your Reels. Your original audio can’t be used by anyone else to create a Reel.
How to Share Instagram Reels to Facebook
For now, only the Instagram app for Android or iPhone allows you to share a reel to Facebook.
Follow the instructions below to start sharing your Instagram Reels on Facebook:
- Open the Instagram app, and go to your profile.
- Find the Reel you want to share.
- Tap the three dots in the bottom right.
- Press “Share.”
- Select the Facebook page where you want to share your Reel.
- Edit the caption and location if desired, and tap “Next.”
- Tap “Share” to post the Reel to your selected Facebook page.
You can also automatically share Instagram Reels to Facebook, but first, you must add your Instagram and Facebook accounts to the same Accounts Center. Here’s how to activate the automatic sharing feature:
- Open the Instagram app, and go to your profile.
- Tap the hamburger button in the top right.
- Select “Settings.”
- Tap “Accounts Center.”
- Select “Sharing across profiles.”
- Choose the account from which you want to share your Reels, then choose the account to which you want to share your Reels.
- Under “Automatically share,” tap “Set up” or turn on the toggle next to “Your Instagram Reels.” All future Reels are shared automatically to Facebook.
How to Repost Instagram Reels on TikTok
If you want to increase your Instagram reach, you can repost some of your Reels on TikTok. Here’s how you do it:
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile.
- Find the Reels video you want to repost. Tap to open the video.
- Tap on the three dots icon in the bottom right.
- Select “Save video” from the menu. The saved video is in the camera roll.
- Go to your TikTok app.
- Tap the plus button at the bottom to upload a new video from the camera roll.
- When the upload is complete, select the “Post” button.
Can I make reels longer than 15 seconds?
Initially, users could only upload 15-second video to the Instagram Reels. But adjustments were made to extend the duration of the video up to 60 seconds. And after another update, you can now upload longer videos up to 90 seconds
Instagram Reels Promotes Growth
Instagram Reels has the potential to develop much more due to its substantial user base. According to a report, Instagram ranked fourth among the most popular social media in 2022, with 1.39 billion active users. In 2023, it is expected that Reels will become even more well-known and extensively used.
Reels provide users with a new and engaging way to share their content, increasing visibility to a broader audience. The increased visibility can lead to more followers, higher engagement rates, and ultimately more opportunities for monetization and development. These are some of the reasons why more companies and influencers now incorporate Reels into their marketing strategies. They use it to create brand awareness, promote products and services, and expand their reach.
How frequently do you use Instagram Reels? Do you think Reels could use some improvements? Tell us in the comment section below.