So, you have a NETGEAR Nighthawk router and need to adjust some of its settings. Unfortunately, you’ve forgotten the password. You won’t be able to log in to your router’s settings without it, and you need to access its settings to make some adjustments. There’s no need to worry. Fortunately, you can log in to your router using NETGEAR’s default password.
If you’ve forgotten what your NETGEAR Nighthawk router’s password is, this article will give you all the information you’ll need to get back into your router’s settings to make necessary changes. We’ll discuss the default passwords, and also how to log in to your Nighthawk via direct access and Wi-Fi.
What Is the Default Password for NETGEAR Nighthawk Direct Access
You’re going to need the default password to access your router’s settings. It’s not a difficult process, and can be done in a few straightforward steps. To accomplish this using direct access, meaning hardwiring directly to your router, follow the instructions below.
- Connect a computer or laptop to the router using an Ethernet cable.
- Turn on the router and wait until the power LED is flashing and the other LEDs are off.
- Using a straightened paperclip or similar device, push the “Reset” button. Hold until all of the LEDs are off. This usually takes approximately 15 seconds.
- For Windows users, open “Network and Sharing Center.” For Mac users, open the “Network Panel.”
- Open the LAN you created for accessing the router.
- Set up a static IP address in the 192.168.0.x subnet and wait until the LEDs blink pattern remains the same and doesn’t change.
- Type 192.168.0.160 in your computer’s web browser’s address bar. This is the default IP address for the router.
- Now type “Admin” for the user name and “password” for the password.
You’re now logged in and will be able to make changes to your NETGEAR Nighthawk router’s settings. Please note that the user name and password are case-sensitive.
What Is the Default Wi-Fi Password for a NETGEAR Nighthawk
To access your router’s settings, you’ll need the default password. The process is straightforward and can be executed in a few simple clicks. To log in using Wi-Fi, follow these steps.
- Using a device that is connected to your router’s network, open a web browser.
- In the browser’s address bar, type “192.168.1.1” or “routerlogin.net.”
- Enter “Admin” for user name and “password” for the password.
You’re now logged in and can make changes to your NETGEAR router’s settings. Please note that the user name and password are case-sensitive.
Can I gain access to my Nighthawk’s settings using a cellphone?
Yes, you can. NETGEAR has a free app that you can use to access your router’s settings. If you’d like to log in to your Nighthawk using the NETGEAR app, you can download it here. With the app, you’ll also be able to view the status of your network, run an internet speed test, update your firmware, and pause the internet on any device connected to your router.
I’m having connectivity issues with my NETGEAR Nighthawk. What should I do?
If you’re having connectivity issues, there are several things you can do to troubleshoot and solve the issue.
1. Power your Nighthawk off and wait 30 seconds before turning it back on.
2. Ensure that your device is activated by contacting your Internet Service Provider (ISP). If you never activated your router, you must do so using your ISP’s self-activation process.
3. Check the power levels of the cable line that connects to your router. If the cable line doesn’t have sufficient power to meet your needs, contact your ISP.
4. If you are using line splitters between your cable line and router, they can reduce signal quality. If possible, remove the splitters.
5. Check your router’s firmware and ensure that you are running the latest version. If your firmware is outdated, install the update.
Can I change my NETGEAR Nighthawk’s Wi-Fi password and network name?
Yes, you have the ability to change both the Wi-Fi password and the network name. To do so, follow the steps below.
1. Open a web browser that is connected to your router’s network.
2. In the address window, type “www.routerlogin.net.”
3. Enter your user name and password in the login window.
4. The home page will display. Select “Wireless” or “Wireless Setup.”
5. In the “Name (SSID)” field, enter your new network name.
6. Enter your new password in the “Password (Network Key)” field.
7. Tap “Apply” to save your changes.
Please note that the user name and password are case-sensitive. Be sure to write down both and keep them in a safe and secure location. After changing your router’s Wi-Fi and network name, you may need to reconnect your device by using the new password. To do so, view your available networks and reconnect.
How do I reboot my NETGEAR Nighthawk router?
If you’re having issues accessing your router, a reboot may be required. This can be done from a device that is connected to your network. To do so, follow the straightforward steps below.
1. Open a web browser on your phone, PC, or laptop.
2. In the browser’s address bar, type in www.routerlogin.net and hit “Enter.”
3. Enter the router’s user name and password. The user name is “admin” and the password is the one you used the last time you logged in. User name and password are case-sensitive.
4. From the home page, navigate to and select “Advanced” and then “Reboot.”
5. Wait for your router to run through the entire reboot process.
I have an older NETGEAR router. Does it have a different default password?
Most NETGEAR routers use “password” for the password. Some of its older models are set up with a default password of “1234.”
How do I find my NETGEAR Nighthawk’s model number?
You can find the model number for your Nighthawk router by looking for the label on the back of the unit. Models vary, but this information is typically located in the upper-left corner of the label just under the word NETGEAR. Other information available on the label is the model name and serial number.
How do I do a factory reset for my NETGEAR Nighthawk?
A factory reset will delete all personalized settings, including password, user name, Wi-Fi network name, and whatever security settings you have. To proceed, follow the steps below.
1. Ensure that your router is on. When on, the unit’s power light will be lit.
2. On the back of the router, you’ll find a button labeled either “Reset” or “Restore Factory Settings.” This varies per model.
3. Use a straightened paper clip or similar device and press and hold this button for at least 7 seconds.
4. Release the button. Your router will now be restored to its factory settings.
Default Passwords Will Save the Day
You can always gain access to your NETGEAR Nighthawk router by using its default password. It’s an easy one to guess, which could threaten your network’s security. To ensure your router’s security, we’ve also shown you how to change your router’s password. Armed with this information, you’ll never be locked out of your router’s settings again.
Have you had a need to use your NETGEAR Nighthawk’s default password? Let us know in the comments section below.